Most frequent questions and answers
NSBE is open to all students and professionals who are interested in promoting the goals and ideals of the organization.
NSBE provides its members with opportunities to network with other Black engineers, participate in professional development programs, and engage in community service activities.
NSBE organizes a variety of events, including career fairs, technical workshops, and community outreach programs.
You can get involved by becoming a member and/or attending chapter meetings, participating in events and volunteering for our community service projects.
1. NSBE Scholarship Program, nsbe.org/collegiate/education/scholarships
a. Some scholarships have a GPA requirement
2. Collegiate-APEx Membership Status
a. Preferred registration rates for NSBE conferences and annual convention
b. Qualification for awards, recognition, and special events (APEx Luncheon, etc.)
3. Reporting academic progress of the national membership as a whole
NSBE Region IV and NSBE MSU may also use your verified GPA for similar purposes. To
protect confidentiality, the student must initiate the GPA verification process
1. Login to your member profile on nsbe.org and view the Additional Info Box:
a. Update Self Reported GPA if it is outdated or the field is blank.
i. Your Self Reported GPA must match your current GPA in the MSU Student
Information System, student.msu.edu.
b. If you do not already have a Confirmed GPA in your member profile, it is very
important to have your GPA verified for future scholarships and events. Please
complete the next steps, even if your GPA is below 3.0.
i. If you already have a Confirmed GPA in your member profile, then only
complete the next steps if your GPA has recently changed.
ii. If your Confirmed GPA is 3.0 or better and APEx Status is indicated, then
there is nothing more for you to do right now and you can disregard the rest
of this message.
2. Complete the GPA Collection Form exactly as requested below:
a. University/Chapter Name – Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
b. Add your last name, first name, signature & NSBE ID
c. Do NOT fill in your MSU GPA in the gray box
d. Save the completed form as a PDF
e. Email the completed form to the NSBE MSU Chapter Advisor
i. Jamillah Gross-Caldwell, firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The NSBE MSU Chapter Advisor will complete the form and send it to
email@example.com and copy you on the message. The NSBE National Academic
Excellence Chair will then update your Confirmed GPA and APEx Status in your
member profile. This process can take up to 10 business days, please allow ample time
for processing of completed forms. (Note: The instructions in the attached letter are for
chapters that do not have an advisor who can verify the member GPA.)
4. Please contact the MSU Chapter Academic Excellence Chair or Chapter Advisor for
- Why are we registering ourselves for this conference?
- In the past we have struggled to have GPA verification, money and information collected on time and appropriately to mass register in time which has costed the chapter extra dollars. To avoid this everyone shall register themselves and verify their own GPAs.
- Members have backed out last minute to various conferences costing the chapter money and causing last minute arrangements to be made i.e. registration transfers and has been a liability to the chapter. To avoid this everyone shall register themselves.
- Registration will cost anywhere from $175-275+ per person, these are dollars that can be used to assist more students in travel and lodging expenses.
- The timeline allows us to get a headcount of the number of rooms we will need. Since it is NSBE50 and Atlanta rooms are filling fast and we cannot book rooms until our members have registered for conference, in light of this we need to secure housing as soon as possible.
- Members are required to pay their own registration up front but if budget allows reimbursements may be sent out in waves based on engagement and decided closer to conference dates. Up to 45 days before convention those that register are able to get a full refund. If you do not receive funding or would not want to attend conference for any reason registration fees are your liability and you can get your money refunded.